Summer is definitely a time for sweating! It can feel so good to work up a sweat in the sun during a yoga session on the beach or on a walk through a tranquil trail. Of course, staying hydrating is more important than ever when temperatures soar.
Dehydration can lead to fatigue, moodiness - or even cause you to pass out! Most people associate staying hydrating with chugging boring water from a water bottle all day long. While it's important to sip throughout the day, there are also some enjoyable and easy ways to stay hydrating that don't involve a water bottle. Did you know there are plenty of moisture-rich foods that will hydrate you just as well as water? In fact, many fruits, veggies and other foods actually count towards your daily water intake.
Here is a list of 5 yummy ways to stay hydrated beyond the water bottle.
- Watermelon. Cut it up, dice it, juice it or freeze it! Any way you enjoy it, watermelon is 90% water and 100% delicious.
- Cut caffeine. I'm not saying you have to give up your morning cup of java, but forgoing that extra cup later in the day could help you cut down on the amount of water you have to drink to make up for the depletion caused by excessive caffeine intake.
- Say YES to frozen yogurt. Dairy actually contains lots of water and is quite hydrating. Add some low-fat dairy treats like frozen yogurt or skim-milk smoothies to the mix to stay hydrated and satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Switch things up with some chilled herbal tea. You can brew your own batch at home and sip for a tasty and refreshing treat that doesn't have any caffeine.
- Savor a salad. Lettuce is chock full of water. Other veggies like celery and cucumbers added to your salad will up your water game and leave you hydrated without very much effort - and a lot of flavor!